Screen Overlay Detected! Fix the Issue Using Our 3 Proven Solutions
So, Are you facing the “screen overlay detected android” issue and have no idea what should you do next? Well, don’t be worry about this because we’ve something special for you. The issue is quite common and many people have reported this issue on various forums. But before discussing the possible solutions, I would like to introduce you to term screen overlay detected, its causes and on which devices this error appears.
- 1 What is Screen Overlay Detected Error?
- 2 Why Does the Screen Overlay Detected Appear?
- 3 Devices on Which the Screen Overlay Detected Appears?
- 4 1. Turn Off the Screen Overlay of All the Apps
- 5 2. Uninstall Some Unwanted Apps to Resolve the Issue
- 6 Use the Safe Mode to Resolve the Issue
- 7 Final Thoughts
What is Screen Overlay Detected Error?
Screen Overlay detected is one of the most common errors caused due to improper functioning of your device. This error occurs mostly on the marshmallow whenever you try to download a new application on your device.
This error restricts your device to share any device details with the app developers. Once this error appears, you won’t be able to proceed further until you turn off the screen overlay. As per the terms & conditions of marshmallow, it’s important to turn off the screen overlay before installing any application.
Why Does the Screen Overlay Detected Appear?
Whenever you try to install a new application from Playstore, then you might have seen some permissions like contact, storage and camera. And if you observe a pop up with the message “screen overlay detected” on your screen, then you won’t be able to download the application.
Until or unless you disable the screen overlay feature, this pop up will keep appearing again and again. So, it’s better to turn off the screen overlay to avoid the error to appear on your screen. Once you turn it off, you will be able to download new apps and games from the Play store.
Devices on Which the Screen Overlay Detected Appears?
Basically, the Screen Overlay Detected error appears on all the Android devices upgraded to the Marshmallow version. Some of the devices on which the error has been reported are Samsung, Motorola, Vivo, Oppo, Techno, Oneplus and Redmi.
There may be different settings for each device, but we’ve covered the working solution for all the devices. I think you have a clear understanding of the term screen overlay detected and now, its time to the next part where I will show you the methods to resolve the issue.
1. Turn Off the Screen Overlay of All the Apps
In this solution, you have to turn off the screen overlay feature to resolve the problem. This procedure will be different for the Samsung users and we’ve got it covered here. So, following are the steps you can follow to turn off the screen overlay:
For All Android Devices
- Firstly, Open the settings menu on your device.
- Scroll down to the “Apps” option and tap on it.
- Once opened, click on the “Three Dots” located at the right corner of your screen.
- Then, select “Draw Over Other Apps” option.
- Now, click on the “Three Dots” again and select “Show System Apps” option.
- Once you do this, then a list of apps will appear on your screen, whose screen overlay is turned on.
- Now, tap on each app and turn off the screen overlay one by one.
For Samsung Devices
- Open Settings
- Scroll down to “Apps” and tap on it.
- Once it opens, click on the “Application Manager” option.
- Now, tap on the “More” option located at the right corner.
- Then, Select “Apps that can appear on Top” from the available options.
- Now, click on the “More” option again and select “System Apps”.
- Once you do this, a list of applications will appear whose screen overlay is turned on.
- Turn off the screen overlay of each app one by one.
That’s it! Now you have successfully disabled the screen overlay of all the apps.
2. Uninstall Some Unwanted Apps to Resolve the Issue
Screen Overlay feature is also used by some crappy security apps like Clean Master, DU Booster etc. Sometimes these apps might be a cause of this problem. So, In order to fix, you just need to delete some unwanted apps from your device. Once you delete those apps, it will fix the issue as well as building up some free ROM on your device. Here we’ve provided a list of apps which might be causing the screen overlay detected issue.
- Chat Head of FB Messanger
- Apps which have inbuilt Rocket cleaners on Home Screen
- 360 Security
- ES File Explorer
- All Security and Virus Protection Apps
- All Night Mode Apps
- Internet Speed Meter.
- UC Browser
- ES File Explorer
- DU Booster and Cleaner
Now, you might be thinking how these apps can cause the screen overlay detection problem? Then we’ve some examples which you can relate to have a better understanding. So, below are the hints which will help you to understand the term clearly.
- All Night Mode Apps use the screen overlay feature to lower the brightness of your screen.
- All Security Apps use the screen overlay feature to examine everything on your device.
- ES file explorer uses the screen overlay to figure out the apps showing on your screen.
That’s it! Above are just a few examples, but there are a lot of apps which uses the screen overlay feature. So, the only solution is to uninstall them to solve the above issue.
Use the Safe Mode to Resolve the Issue
Still facing the same issue? don’t worry, then this option will work for you. In this solution, we will use the “Safe Mode” to fix the issue. So, below are the steps which you can need to follow:
- Press and Hold the Power Button
- Now, Tap on the “Power Off” option until the Safe Mode pop up appears.
- Tap on the “OK” button to reboot your device.
Once you’re in the safe mode, then you need to grant several permissions to all the apps in which the Screen Overlay feature was appearing. In order to grant permissions, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Settings Menu on your device.
- Once opened, scroll down to the “Apps” option and select the app which was causing the Screen Overlay detection.
- Now, click on “App Permissions”.
- After that, turn on all the options of the selected app.
So, these are the steps which you can follow to fix the issue using Safe Mode. And we have observed this method has worked for most of the users, therefore it must work for you too.
Now you know how to resolve the screen overlay error on your device. We hope this post helped you to resolve the issue. If you found this post helpful, then don’t forget to share this with your friends, family and colleagues. And if you have any queries regarding this post, then feel free to share them with us in the comment section below. See you in the comment section below.